Adopting a Puppy
We are not a commercial breeding establishment and breed primarily for ourselves. However, as not every puppy in a litter is a show quality puppy, we have as a result a number of puppies from each litter who will be looking for loving homes.
We do not breed often – a maximum of two litters a year – and usually have a waiting list for our puppies. If you looking for a puppy “right now” you will most likely be disappointed because we have had people wait up to 18 months to adopt from one of our litters.
These are some of the requirements for being placed on the waiting list for a puppy from one of our litters:
- You must fill out our adoption questionnaire which can be downloaded from the link below.
- Puppies will not be available before 8 weeks of age. Puppies that must travel by air will not be allowed to leave before 3 months of age unless they are flying in cabin with their prospective parents.
- You must supply a veterinary reference – and it will be checked
- If you do not own your own home – you must supply a landlord reference which will be checked to ensure that a dog is allowed on the property.
- All puppies sold as pets go on a CKC non-breeding agreement and with a legally binding contract stating that they will not be bred.
- You must sign a contract authorizing us to remove the dog (or have a representative do so) if it is not being cared for properly.
- We do not take deposits until puppies are on the ground. When puppies become available the families waiting the longest will be contacted and given first opportunity to put a deposit down to reserve a puppy. If we do not get a reply, we go down the list.
- Adopting families are encouraged to visit frequently during the first 8 weeks of the puppies lives to bond with them. All we ask is that you wear clothes that have not been in the proximity of other dogs to ensure you don’t unknowingly carry in bacteria to unvaccinated puppies.
- We will consider which puppies appeal to your family, but the final choice of which family receives which puppy, is made by ourselves after the Puppy Aptitude Testing is done at 7 weeks. In this way we can best match each available puppy to the family who’s requirements it most closely meets.
- We will not sell a puppy for breeding purposes to anyone unknown to us. If you want to build a mentoring relationship with us, and take the time to learn about our breeds, we may consider you a
suitable home for a show and breeding prospect in the future – but this is not likely to happen with your first dog from us, unless we maintain control through a co-ownership.
- We will check your references – and we hope that you will check ours. Since 1991 we have been providing happy, healthy puppies as long-term companions for families. We keep in touch with our
extended Yasashiikuma family through mail, email, phone calls, an email group and “puppy picnics”. Many people have come back to us for a second or third dog (even a fifth in the case of one family),
and we will be glad to put you in touch with these people. If you are looking to drop cash and walk away with a puppy, we suggest you look elsewhere. We have a lifetime commitment to the puppies we