News of ribbons and tadpoles
Norton has arrived at his new home in Denmark with Joan and Jens Rogers. Not wasting any time, he was entered in his first show last weekend at Roskilde.
His first show was very successful and he won Best of Breed from the puppy class. Since I am still getting used to the European championship requiremenets, forgive me if this is incorrect, but I believe this win gave him his first CAC of the three required for his Danish championship title. Apparently, like in many places in Europe, he must win at least one CAC after the age of 18 months to finalize the title. I actually like this system as it would weed out many of the pretty puppies who fall apart at a year of age!
While that has been going on, I have been running the Hormone Hotel and Infirmary here at home. It appears that a mild form of Kennel Cough came home with many of us from the National, even in vaccinated dogs. It is making its way through the youngsters here. Add that to the fact that Dash, Naomi and Jade are ALL in season, it is a little nuts on the home front. Even Hunter is taking part in the love ballad chorus, and with four boys here (Brogan, Chip, Dragoon and Hunter) the range of harmonics is quite interesting.
The lucky guy though arrived by test tube. Jade has been undergoing progesterone testing for the past week, and the tadpoles from Powell arrived on Thursday and Friday. I truly wish that FedEx could get itself oranized!!! The shipment from Wednesday was supposed to arrive at the vets Thursday afternoon. I was in the vicinity of the airport at a CKC Audit Committee meeting. On my way to the vets to collect Jade, I called and was told that it hadn’t arrived. I got on the phone and found out it was still sitting at the airport, so I arranged to turn around and pick it up. I asked how could I avoid the problem with the shipment for the next day, and I was told to tell the shipper to mark the package to be held at the airport depot for pickup the next day.
When I got to the vet, the ice pack in the “Puppy Pack” had thawed, but thankfully the semen was still viable. Later, I got a call from the vets office in Texas saying that FedEx had refused to take the shipment marked as we were told, so they had to ship it to my vet’s office again.
I called in the morning to interrupt the shipment while it was still in customs to ask them to hold it at the airport again. On the way down, I got a call telling me it had been put on a truck to Cambridge. Thankfully I hadn’t reached the airport yet, so I detoured west and picked it up. This time the frozen pack was still mostly frozen and we had another successful AI.
All being well Dragoon should be a big brother on or about July 9th. Fingers, toes and paws all crossed!